Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Playing to Strengths

It seems to me that playing a game in a weirder setting (and I think Athanor does qualify as a bit weirder than average) should focus on keeping it weird. That is, the settings and situations of a weird fantasy should emphasize what distinguishes it over what is similar to other games. That weirdness can help emphasize a sense of immersion for players and build something unique about the setting.

So, when looking at Athanor, I think I need to consider what makes the setting unique. Here's my list of Things to Emphasize:
  • Arid, dying land.
  • Ochre, lichen-covered seabeds.
  • Dinosaurs.
  • Post-apocalytpic ruins filled with high-tech artifacts.
  • Fungus forests.
  • Airships.
  • Non-standard races.
  • Two moons.
  • Vog-Mur the Necromancer.
  • The Overlord of Zamora and his "children."
  • A semi-ruined domed city with lawless ruins at the borders.
  • Firearms.
  • Rare but present sci-fi artifacts.
My goal is to keep these things in mind when playing the game and designing adventures. Maybe I need to put the list in the front of my campaign binder.