Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Draft: Revising the Magic-user Spell List

I posted yesterday about possibly getting rid of the cleric and making the classes in Athanor a bit more like those in T&T. This would require some reworking of the S&W White Box Edition Magic-user and Cleric spell lists into one big list. Which I have done, with some minor edits of spells I didn't think fit into Athanor….

Level 1
Charm Person
Cure (Cause) Wounds I
Detect Magic
Hold Portal
Light (Dark) I
Light I
Protection from Chaos (Law) I
Protection from Chaos I
Purify (Putrefy) Food and Drink
Read Languages
Read Magic
Sleep

Level 2
Detect Invisibility
Detect Thoughts
Find Traps
Hold Person
Invisibility I
Knock
Levitate
Light (Dark) II
Locate Object
Phantasmal Force
Speak with Animals
Web
Wizard Lock

Level 3
Alter Time
Banish Undead*
Crystal Ball
Cure (Cause) Disease
Dark Vision
Dispel Magic
Fireball
Fly
Hold Person
Invisibility II
Lightning Bolt
Locate Object
Protection from Chaos II
Protection from Normal Missiles
Water Breathing

Level 4
Charm Monster
Confusion
Cure (Cause) Wounds II
Dimension Portal
Giant Growth
Hallucinatory Terrain
Neutralize Poison
Polymorph
Remove Curse
Speak with Plants
Wall of Defense I
Wizard Eye

Level 5
Animal Growth
Animate Dead
Cloudkill
Conjure Elemental
Contact Other Plane
Dispel Chaos (Law)
Feeblemind
Hold Monster
Insect Plague
Magic Jar
Passwall
Telekinesis
Teleport
Transform I
Wall of Defense II

Level 6
Anti-Magic Shell
Control Weather
Death Spell
Disintegrate
Invisible Stalker
Move Earth
Move Water
Project Image
Quest
Reincarnation
Transform II

*New Spell: Banish Undead
Spell Level: M3
Range: 50 feet
Duration: Special

This spell channels magical might to “Turn” the undead,making them flee from the magic-user’s power (or, bringing them to heel as servants and minions). This works as per the standard "Banish Undead" ability listed under the Cleric class in the main rule book.

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of doing something similar (cutting the initial spell list down to the B/X basic) for my own game. Mind if I nab this for tinkering purposes?
    With attribution, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all. It's posted here for everyone to steal from if they want! Note that I threw out some spells based on flavor of barren Athanor (like Massmorph, for example) that might be appropriate in another campaign.

    ReplyDelete

Print