Thursday, June 16, 2011

My last hit point musing for now.

After much mild moping about hit points, I rediscovered Robert Fisher's old Classic D&D Injury Table, as well as Trollsmyth's revised version, which seems to me a productive way to begin thinking about injury, hit points, and balancing low-level survival with the simplicity of managing hit points as an abstract system. I think it was Roger the GS who noted that the best way to think of hit points is that only dropping below 1 hit point should be seen as an injury. I think that's probably a good idea if I want to keep the general set of D&D rules, warts and all.

Personally, I think I may just take Mr. Fisher's rules more or less whole cloth, but the rumination on the issue of hit points has been enlightening.

3 comments:

  1. I may have noted it (and will soon post my own take on it) but I can't take credit for the idea, the last implementation I saw was in Greg Christopher's Errant and I'm sure there are others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm not mistaken, this system is similar to that used in Warhammer Roleplay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I looked at WHFRP, and I sold off my copy a while back, but I wouldn't be surprised at all it that's the way it went. But I seem to recall that the last pre-FFG game was. on the one hand, able to provide some ways to prevent rapid death, but on the other hand, once your luck ran out, death came quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Print