Thursday, December 24, 2009

Next Steps....

Blair at Planet Algol has more than once noted that I should think of putting together an Adventure Path for Savage Swords of Athanor, a thought I have left to stew in the back of my head for a while. Of course, given the general wisdom in the Old School community that upholds the sacred status of sandbox settings, I think that doing something like this will revoke what little OSR cred I might have, but the idea isn't such a bad one. But my concerns about this plan revolve around two issues: writing adventures, and setting up a fixed path.

The former is a tough thing to consider. There are some good adventure writers out there — for instance, I like Melan's wacky adventures, and I like James Raggi's moody and stylistic pieces. But  I have always run games off loose notes and vague ideas of the future. I don't plot out ten games in advance, I write up some ideas, run a game, and adjust. The idea of plotting out an adventure path is, well, weird.

Right now, I'm playing in a 4e conversion of the 3e big-ass adventure Red Hand of Doom, and I often feel that part of the game has involved us looking for the right clues to follow the plot, and those portions of the experience have sucked. And RHoD isn't a terrible railroad-y adventure (like, say, all of the original Dragonlance modules), perhaps even less so than the venerable classics of the Slaver series or even the Against the Giants series. Before I even think about this, I may need to consider classics like the old TSR U-series modules as well as Bad Axe Games' Slavelords of Cydonia to get some inspiration before even considering anything else.

If I do this, I suspect the final product will be a bit more sparse and open-ended than, say Paizo's Age of Worms or Rise of the Runelords and more like old TSR modules.

2 comments:

  1. I would recommend that you take an approach similar to the Savage Worlds Plot Point adventures. They are basically "site based" adventure paths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps something along the lines of Geoffrey's B2-style module Fungoid Gardens of the Bone Sorcerer, made for his Carcosa supplement? That would be a good fit for the sandbox setting.

    http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=carcosa&action=display&thread=2943

    ReplyDelete

Print