I think that with Athanor, I am not interested as much in pure hexcrawling sandbox play (though I have been working on material for hexcrawling in Athanor) and I don't really find megadungeons as compelling (and I have maps for that at least). Instead, I want to find a way to "map" out interesting social settings, roleplay opportunities, and chances for adventure. So I have been thinking about the kinds of thing that feel like they are part of the right genre:
- Love interest of the hero kidnapped, heroes must pursue.
- Pursuing villains into ruins filled with terrible monsters.
- Weird science gone amok in the hands of a mad scientist.
- Intelligent but barbaric alien war-bands.
- Averting war between kingdoms.
- Sky-pirate raids.
- Gloating villains.
- Villains who are actually guardians of a secret history of Athanor.
- Exotic locales.
- Strange fauna.
- Getting lost far from home.
I need to put this stuff together into a set of possible encounters and come up with a relationship between all the pieces.
And then, I need to stop thinking so much about it all. Maybe run a game.
I just got my Google Wave invite. At some point in the near future, I'll have to start recruiting players. Right now, I need to do present a pilot study for my dissertation, revise my written report for the quarter, and then take a long nap.