Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Finding my way in all this stuff I have created.

As the quarter comes to a close and leaves me to spend a winter break cuddling up with Bourdieu and Foucault to find a way to develop an theory of cultural and personal resiliency that explains how marginalized students create agency and places of resistance within culturally hegemonizing forces (can you tell I'm a graduate student?), I also find myself with relatively more time to work on Athanor.

I think that with Athanor, I am not interested as much in pure hexcrawling sandbox play (though I have been working on material for hexcrawling in Athanor) and I don't really find megadungeons as compelling (and I have maps for that at least). Instead, I want to find a way to "map" out interesting social settings, roleplay opportunities, and chances for adventure. So I have been thinking about the kinds of thing that feel like they are part of the right genre:

  • Love interest of the hero kidnapped, heroes must pursue.
  • Pursuing villains into ruins filled with terrible monsters.
  • Weird science gone amok in the hands of a mad scientist.
  • Intelligent but barbaric alien war-bands.
  • Averting war between kingdoms.
  • Sky-pirate raids.
  • Death-traps.
  • Gloating villains.
  • Villains who are actually guardians of a secret history of Athanor.
  • Exotic locales.
  • Strange fauna.
  • Getting lost far from home.

I need to put this stuff together into a set of possible encounters and come up with a relationship between all the pieces.

And then, I need to stop thinking so much about it all. Maybe run a game.

I just got my Google Wave invite. At some point in the near future, I'll have to start recruiting players. Right now, I need to do present a pilot study for my dissertation, revise my written report for the quarter, and then take a long nap.

6 comments:

  1. Reading your list made me think of something that might be of interest to you (it might not as well). If you haven't read them you might consider checking out the old DC comic Adam Strange written by Gardner Fox. Your list of social situations sounds as if it is straight out of the older Adam Strange books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeForest

    I love the old Gardner Fox Adam Strange comics, which I have always seen as a silver age revision of the John Carter of Mars books. I first discovered them in 70s reprints.

    I have to see if there is a collection of old Adam Strange comics out there, because the more recent versions of Adam Strange have been tragically terrible.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap! Amazon has three volumes of Adam Strange Archive Editions. Astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you need to write an "Adventure Path..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plus, it sounds like you may need some pendragon/en garde/ready refs sheets-esque romance rules/guidelines!

    ReplyDelete

Print