Monday, November 30, 2009

Crabmen, Dire Corbies, and the like.

A recent Planet Algol post made me think of a long-lost-to-my-subconscious old Fiend Folio monster, the Dire Corby. Issue 3 of Fight On! magazine made me think back to the Fiend Folio's Crab Men. Makes me think about the great potential for totally gonzo weirdness in my monsters in the old Fiend Folio, if only I let the weirdness of the monsters become their strength rather than their weakness.

Perhaps that way lies madness, but I think there may be genius in reclaiming monsters like the Flail Snail....

5 comments:

  1. I'm doing a Night Below campaign for my AD&D group. I don't really like the Grell encounter area, so I am going to fill it up with Dire Corby's. I never liked them, until I saw them in a Drizzt graphic novel, where they looked much cooler than their FF drawing. The artist even makes their battle cry "doom!" seem cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Sorry this is off-topic, but I couldn't find another contact for you. I was wondering if I could use your Planetary Romance Plot Generation tables for my free random tables website (www.apolitical.info/webgame/tables). If so I'll credit you and link to your site.

    Thanks,
    James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,

    You are absolutely free to use the Planetary Romance Plot tables. Thanks for asking!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late to the party, but I just googled "Dire Corby" and ran across this and some other blog posts. I've just been inspired by an illustration in White Dwarf #39 to integrate Dire Corbies into my setting ... will probably post that illo.

    I had no idea there was a Dire Corby Renaissance ...

    ReplyDelete

Print