Sunday, March 15, 2009

What I'll play vs. what I'll run

Next weekend, I'm going to go to a friend's house to play a pickup game of 4th edition. Now, I don't consider myself a warrior on the front lines of the Old School Movement. I want to use an old school game because it seems interesting to me as a DM. I have run a lot of things in my day, from AD&D to Champions to Mage to Feng Shui to 3.x edition D&D, and I have learned a lot of things that I like in a system and things that I don't. But when it comes to being a player, I'm pretty much system agnostic.

That means that I'll have fun playing 4th edition, because I like the players and I can find something to like in nearly any system. But when I run Athanor, I'll be going back something simpler, cleaner and more old-fashioned to keep myself happy.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have games that we will play, but never run. For me, that has to be Call of Cthulhu. Not because of the game system but rather my lack of ability to run a horror type game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably play a retroclone of D&D or a pre-4e version if a friend offered, but never run it on my own. Increasingly this is also becoming true of Cthulhutech, but for different reasons. With Cthulhutech I'm starting to feel there's far less stories to tell in that setting than what I initially thought.

    ReplyDelete

Print