Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What's the Story?

For years, I have run games with clear storylines. With Athanor, I'm taking a different tack. Story is the outgrowth of the players actions. This isn't revolutionary. In fact, it's just a truism about roleplaying games. The difference here is that I'm just laying some events, locations, and conflicts around the game. You can stumble on them and interact with them or you can leave them be and the game is still going to move on. You might learn about a plot on the throne, or not; you might learn about an ancient evil awakening or not; and you might learn about them and not care. Your call.

I will leave lots of ruins and locations in the game, and will have possible friends, enemies, and sponsors around. But I'm leaving it to the players to come up with a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print