Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Yet another reboot.

I'm wading slowly back toward gaming by focusing on the hobby of thinking and writing about gaming. Inspired by re-reading Burroughs and now reading Paizo reprints of Kuttner's Elak of Atlantis stories, Brackett's Stark novels (and her short stories in e-book editions), Moore's Northwest Smith stories, and a slew of other sword and planet novels, I am back on a D&D science fantasy kick. I have been re-reading Moldvay-Cook B/X, a little Empire of the Petal Throne, and letting it all stew together.

The result is a set of notes for a Mars D&D campaign set in a retro-future Mars-that-never-was, much in the tone of Leigh Brackett. For the next few weeks, at least, I'll be back to blogging regularly to post my rough ideas, work through some stuff, and share my sketches and maps. We'll see if it sticks, and if I can get past inertia to get a real, actual game rolling.

7 comments:

  1. You might find the book Imagining Mars by Robert Crossley interesting. It's a history of fictional representations of Mars (including scientific speculations that turned out to be wrong, and 'psychic visions').

    GURPS Mars is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin Carter's The Man Who Loved Mars! It's actually good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great recommendations!

    Blair, I may have to pick up The Man Who Loved Mars just on the thought that it might be a Carter novel that is actually good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi, that's not fair! I, the Designated Defender of Carter, protest! He wrote at least a couple of good novels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed several of his Green Star, Callisto, and Zarkon books-- but I would class all as guilty pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The worlds end series is genuinely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the subject of Lin Carter, I wonder whether his Under the Green Star might have been an influence on the film Avatar. I recently blogged about this here.

    ReplyDelete

Print