Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Yet another reboot.

I'm wading slowly back toward gaming by focusing on the hobby of thinking and writing about gaming. Inspired by re-reading Burroughs and now reading Paizo reprints of Kuttner's Elak of Atlantis stories, Brackett's Stark novels (and her short stories in e-book editions), Moore's Northwest Smith stories, and a slew of other sword and planet novels, I am back on a D&D science fantasy kick. I have been re-reading Moldvay-Cook B/X, a little Empire of the Petal Throne, and letting it all stew together.

The result is a set of notes for a Mars D&D campaign set in a retro-future Mars-that-never-was, much in the tone of Leigh Brackett. For the next few weeks, at least, I'll be back to blogging regularly to post my rough ideas, work through some stuff, and share my sketches and maps. We'll see if it sticks, and if I can get past inertia to get a real, actual game rolling.