Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Earth, Wind, and Fire

I was listening to Earth, Wind and Fire the other day, pulling out one of my favorite EWF songs, "Fantasy". And it made me think about the fact that RPGs tend to favor the rugged individualism of Howardesque pulp fiction and the moralistic grounds of Tolkienian fantasy, but very few RPGs have gone after 70s touchy-feely or new age fantasy. Sure, there's stuff like Green Ronin's Blue Rose, built to emulate the romantic fantasy genre. But where are my multicultural, peace-loving, zodiac-embracing, psychedelic landscape, air ship flying fantasies of people in flowy shirts trying to fight for higher consciousness for mankind?

Some part of me wonders if there was some part of my brain ready to put together a funk soul liberation RPG setting.

8 comments:

  1. Jason Kielbasa is on it. Except the P-Funk base would yield a more gonzo and less high minded setting (+Zappa, - Yes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given my "Why Cyberpunk?"* musings, I'd buy this RPG product... if only to watch the players try to build a 'completely, totally, truly, like, *balanced*' party ;)

    *: as in, if Tron & Tron Legacy are CyberOpera, why not cyberfunk, cyberreggae, cyberrap, cybermetal, cybersoul, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's room for plenty of funky OSR settings.

    That makes me want to do an '80s electro game, space opera style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thing is three element magic: earth, wind, and fire.

    I've long wanted a setting that embraced everything from Yes album covers, Hawkwind, those funky 70s wizards, and Elfquest (or Marvel's Weirdworld).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah - Dungeonfunk! Totally rocking that. Definitely get some psychedelic 70s stuff going on, in line with Herb's suggestions. Been musing about that too recently.

    Must be something in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RPGs tend to be about fighting and killing not discovering new age higher consciousness. Not sure it could ever have much of a market, but it might be neat.

    ReplyDelete

Print