Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Giving some props to other bloggers.

Right now, my creativity is low as I get ready spend a couple days in Texas to give a presentation at a conference. This is my third time presenting at some sort of conference, but the first where I am the sole presenter. This is definitely higher-stakes presentation. Until the presentation is done, thinking of gaming stuff is going to take work.

So consider this blog entry the equivalent to one of those flashback filler episodes of a show you like. You end up watching it because you like the show, but you feel a little cheated by the clip-episode format. Today, I want to push you to look at the people I steal from regularly when I think of ideas.

  • Akrasia's blog, Akratic Wizardry has a lot of stuff to steal if you are looking to house rule Swords and Wizardry. I'm planning to loot his skill rules, for example.
  • James Raggi of Lamentations of the Flame Princess is always interesting, never boring, and would get my respect just for putting together the Random Esoteric Creature Generator (which is now published by Goodman Games), but he is now walking the small-press walk with his
  • Taichara's blog, A Hamsterish Hoard of Dungeons and Dragons is chock full of ideas for magic items, monsters and miscellaneous cool stuff. Even given the generally weird tone I want for Athanor, I still see plenty to steal that fits in -- and Taichara has put together many times this for those with less peculiar campaign concepts. I'd gladly throw a few bucks Taichara's way for a print or PDF booklet of his posts compiled in one place (hint, hint), but given my recent penchant for putting together booklets on my own, I really could just do it myself, I suppose.
Air Jelly
Amber Jelly
Blood Slime
Brass Dragonfly
Dark Jelly
Dreamthief
Earth Jelly
Emberwings
Fire Jelly
Griph
Heqren
Hidden One
Ivory Scarab
Kekir
Kharui
K'sshri
Living Statue, Black Iron
Living Statue, Brass
Living Statue, Cinnabar
Living Statue, Glass
Living Statue, Marble
Lurru
Macal
Nakharia
Neu
P'rarr
Shining Jelly
Sshian
Tikra
Verdant Mantid
Verrun
Water Jelly
Xenthrek

5 comments:

  1. Don't feel cheated at all, your Athanor is so inspiring that it's worth the wait. Besides, how could we resent a big dollop of real life holding you back?

    As for the three bloggers, I agree they are three of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much for skill rules but Raggi's recently published adventures ARE damn interesting and the Hamsterish Horde has enough material to rival the Pandius Vault.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. A compilation may be more likely than an entire book of new material --

    If I can sort out my ability to freeze when taking on a project, perhaps I'll have something to assemble when the anniversary of yon blog rolls around in a few months.

    And thank ye very kindly :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sshian rock on toast. They're kinda-sorta taking central stage in my Labyrinth Lord campaign, and they are suitably creepy and inegmatic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's two years late, but thanks for mentioning my Akratic Wizardry house rules! :)

    ReplyDelete

Print