Monday, August 10, 2009

Setting up a game is hard. Boo-hoo for me.

The problems are twofold: one is my desire to run a game with people I know and like and the limited schedules I and my friends face as thirty- and forty-somethings with, you know, lives. I work full time and am a doctoral student, my best friend is a nurse who also still does some work as a massage therapist and is focused on completing his first novel. I have other friends whose life is complicated by living some 30 minutes or more drive away. This all means that weekdays are hard to schedule, and weekends are very precious.

I could run things as PBEM or PBP, but I need to learn more about the formats, and I actually like running a face-to-face game. So if I want this to happen, I suppose I need to make the time on my schedule, and face the possibility that I might need to recruit players into my game including people I just don't know -- something I haven't done in ages. Most of the time, players started with friends, who helped me recruit friends of friends, making the job easier.

In short, I have gotten lazy. And, frankly, spoiled. I'm not enamored of going through screening people and since I game these days in my own home, I'm not enamored of bringing in total strangers. I realize that I am much more averse to risk than I was as a teenager or twenty-something year old. After all, gaming for strangers at a con or a game store is a different sort of thing than having a stranger drop by your house, especially given the fact that many of the gamers I have known (and even played with) over the years have been people I gladly saw once a week or month at a neutral place, but might not have invited over to my house.

Well, at some point I need to suck it up.

I can put that off for at least another day, though. I'm back to work after a three week vacation (and by vacation, I mean three weeks off work doing academic research), and I think that will keep me busy for at least a week catching up on things....