Thursday, March 31, 2011

A few doodles.

Recently, I have been in a bit of a creative rut with my writing, stuck with a general sense of writers' block both for the blog and for my academic writing. Part of this may be the fact that I am really focused on doing a lot of work writing, but part of this is the fact that I'm burned out on writing and pining for running a game. Of course, I'm not sure that I have the time to do much running.
So instead of writing, I have been doing more painting. After getting a journal from some friends made by an artist who painted on the front of a composition book as his canvas. That got me thinking about painting on composition books to make journals. That headed me into thinking about making player journals for D&D games.

Instead of busting out my acrylics and brushes, I decided to work in markers, and chose to work with familiar images from AD&D, done in garish colors and some exaggerated line work. 

Anyway, since I have little to write right now, I'd spend a little time posting what I have been drawing.

8 comments:

  1. Those are great. Awesome idea!

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love it! Especially the Beholder :-) It's "facial" expression is great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have found a good creative outlet for your writers' block/burnout. And great work with the limited resources the colored markers provide too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick thing - I thought that was a Black Dragon? (Sadly, I don't know where my Monster Manual is, so I can't check.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I like those. This is your idea of creative block? Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome journal covers! As I was looking at each of them, I couldn't help thinking how many gamers would love to own these. They're good enough that people would gleefully pay for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Beholder rules.

    I can hear it now: "What? I think I heard a noise over there! Hah! Something to Turn To Stone! Hah! I love doin' that!"

    ReplyDelete

Print